Delivering clarity for families during uncertain times

Requesting a change to child support in Georgia

Latest News

The Division of Child Support Services in Georgia mandates monthly support to ensure both parents provide for a child’s financial needs. A child support order remains in place for two years before the court will modify the amount. When circumstances change, however, either parent can request a custody modification. 

Learn more about when you can ask for a change to child support payments when your child lives in Georgia. 

Job loss

When the parent who pays child support loses his or her job, he or she can immediately petition the court for a child support modification. This rule also applies if you receive a demotion or otherwise lose at least 25% of your income. Requesting a modification under these circumstances prevents you from accruing significant child support debt if you are out of work. 

New job, promotion or raise

If the parent who pays support receives a significant increase in income, the other parent may request a change in support. However, he or she must establish that the other parent’s financial status and/or the child’s support needs have dramatically changed. Depending on the size of the income increase, the court may recalculate the child support amount based on Georgia state guidelines. 


If your former partner marries someone else and an increase in household income results, it could decrease the court-ordered child support amount. On the other hand, if the person’s new spouse has his or her own children, the increased household size could result in lower child support based on the court’s calculations. 

Custody change

Parenting time plays a role in the state’s child support calculation. If you had joint custody and now have sole custody or had limited visitation and now have shared custody, the court may decrease your support obligation. In some cases, the responsibility to pay support may shift from one parent to the other. 

When you submit your child support modification request, the court will make a decision based on the information you provide. The judge may then issue a new legally-binding child support order. 

Related Articles